1920 to 1940 were slow growth years. The town progressed into the areas around and up to Texas Avenue.
The street car line ended at just about where Texas Avenue is today, close to Jackson Street.
There was a large public park and natatorium located in the area to the right of Jackson and Texas Avenue.
To the south side of town homes grew up around the lumber mills that once were outside the city but now were in what you could term industrial areas.
For example the Sonia quarters grew around the Sonia cotton gin.
It was here the employees of the mill built their homes near work. As did other Cotton Gin’s and Lumber Mills workers.
Enterprise addition was the results of the Enterprise Lumber Company on the North side of Alexandria. These area’s were absorbed into the town area..
Basically the towns industries that had built outside the central area became part of the complex.
A pattern of development toward the Western end of Alexandria began because of the Red River and probably industrial growth on the south side.
That pattern continues into today.
1940 came round and Alexandria suffered tremendous culture shock.
From a small farming and timber town, the placing of Army training bases to the South and North of Alexandria caused an influx of thousands of
soldiers to converge on the town and turn it up side down, so to speak.
From Texas Avenue the limit stretched just a bit to McArthur Drive.
In the 1940′s homes were built up to Bayou Roberts. Across that bayou were cotton fields.
The City Park residential area grew up. Ave A, B, and C and Crawford addition became popular area’s.
We based our economy on what we had in the past plus the benefit of business with the many Army Camps surrounding us.
A lot of Alexandria residents became millionaires because of trade with the Camps during the 1940′s.
The 1950′s brought the end of the war and a stagnation of our community.
I have long ago said that the lack of foresight at the end of the war caused Alexandria to wither and almost fall off the vine so to speak.
Up untill the late 1940′s Downtown Alexandria was alive and busy.
In the early 1950′s business began to migrate down to Bolton Avenue.
The beautiful homes were torn down on Bolton Avenue to build Sears and other stores.
Our past began to slowly disappear up into the 1960′s as commerce slowly moved toward McArthur Drive.
Jackson Street had become the main life artery of the city.
The 1970′s till today show slow movement to the west and little movement South or any other direction.
We have obtained some industry and plants, but the promise Alexandria showed in the 1950 was not taken advantage of.
Down town Alexandria died in the 1960′s as did Bolton Avenue.
Our commercial area is around McArthur Drive and down Jackson Street , Masonic Drive and out Highway 28 West…
I49 skirts through town but is of little benifit other than to keep travlers from seeing some of our wonderful city as they could by our old highway system’s.
We still base a lot of our income from agriculture as we did in the past.So from 1805 till now we have evolved quite a bit, if the rest will be like the past is up to you and your family’s to decide.
This is just a thumbnail sketch. Much more happened that can be discussed, but lets leave it short and sweet.